You must read this policy carefully before placing an order.When the transaction has occured, we are committed to your complete satisfaction according to the following clauses:
We use International Express Service for all international shipment. All orders from our site enjoy free shipping. We will prepare and ship out your order within 1-2 business days once the transaction has been done. and it will take about 5-7 days for the door to door delivery.
To ensure the security of delivery, we only accept the order which shipping address matches the billing one. To avoid any fraud transactions by credit cards, the drop shipping orders can’t be accepted unless we receive a confirmation from the card holder by fax.
We will email you the tracking no. and the tracking site once the order has been dispatched.
Please make sure the registered email address and phone numbers are available so that we are able to contact you when a tracking number is issued after shipping If the package had to be returned to us due to failure of delivery , We will not accept any refund on it. If you still want the returned order ,then you are responsible for the re-send freight,and it depends on weight of the commodity.
Cancellations & modification
Once an order has been submitted, any cancellation or modification should be avoided. Usually the order is arranged for packing and delivery process within 6 hours once an order occured. Therefore, you should check order details and make decisions with seriously consideration.
Please contact our sale assistants by email as soon as possible in case any cancellations or modifications occur. Usually,an order can be cancelled within 1-6 hours after the order has been confirmed.And the earlier, the better, so a full refund will be issued to your bank in the following 48 hours. If cancellations requested after order dispatching which is known by an issued tracking number, 25% handling fees is applied and the rest 75% will be refund.
Exchange / Replacement / Return
Exchange is acceptable within 7 days upon delivery if you do need to replace the commodity with another size, color or style. Extra freight is required for new dispatching. The cost is about 10-30% of the order amount according to addresses.
Replacement applied when a certain product run out of stock suddenly, especially in busy season. Small gifts offered occasionally if replacement is accepted by customers.
Return is acceptable when commodity is found damaged during shipping. In this case, customers should contact our sales assistant as soon as possible; email us with photos of the parcel and the damaged products (necessary proofs of free exchanging). Please make sure the parcel is under original condition. A return form should be filled and attached to the exchanging parcel. For processing details, please email us now.
1.After quality inspection made by the quality control division(QCD), partial or full refund issued to customers’ bank.
2.It will be as long as 30 days for the amount returned to customers’ credit cards after we operate the refund. During this time, it is the bank who handle the case.
3.Please check the billing at the following month after applying refund from our store to ensure the refund is done completely.
Over 99% of the items will be delivered safely.You don't need to pay extra money for the insurance, the shipping company will be responsible for all the items they undertake. In case your item get lost or or held at your custom, we will be responsible for half the loss.